Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Hamilton - Broadway 2016

After having problems with our tickets, to not having any tickets which viagogo sold to someone else, it was a miracle that my friend and I got to see Hamilton. 
Social media is a wonderful thing.
It all started with a hashtag #getsamtoham, one of the cast members saw the hashtag and asked my friend what had happened. My friend explained.
My friend and I arrived at the theatre to speak to a gentleman that was instructed by the cast member and the gentleman managed to get us two standing tickets. We couldn't believe our eyes. The gentleman called us over once we had the tickets and said I am going to give you seats as there is no reason for you to stand seeing that you already paid for seats. Well instead of sitting near the back of the mezzanine they sat us at the back of the front stalls. We were very happy and greatful for what this gentleman and the cast member had done. So we took our seats and could finally relax and enjoy the show.

Hamilton is a musical about Alexander Hamilton, a Scottish/French Caribbean who travelled to NYC in the late 18th century and became the right hand man to George Washington. He was a hero of the American war for independence. He was also an abrasive character who was involved in a notorious sex scandal and died before he reached 50 in a duel with the former Vice President of America Aaron Burr.

Music and lyrics are written by Lin Manual Miranda.

I was lucky enough to see the original broadway cast starring Lin Manual Miranda as Alexander Hamilton, Jonathan Groff as King George, Leslie Odom Jr as Aaron Burr, Renee Elise Goldsberry/Phillipa Soo/Jasmine Cephas Jones as the Schuyler sisters, Christopher Jackson as George Washington, Daveed Diggs as Lafayette/Jefferson, Anthony Ramos as Lauren's/Philip Hamilton and not forgetting Javier Munoz as Alexander Hamilton at certain performances.

Lin Manual Miranda portrayed a fantastic Alexander Hamilton. Lin was perfection throughout the show. Lin's singing was great, I mean to rap 7 days a week is amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed Lin's performance.
Phillipa Soo portrayed a wonderful and sweet Eliza.
Jonathan Groff as King George had me on the edge of my seat with laughter, Jonathan's performance was very camp, loved the British accent and loved Jonathan singing 'you'll be back'.
The rest of the cast were brilliant a lot of talent and amazing performances.

My favourite songs in the show were you'll be back, Alexander Hamilton and My Shot.

I didn't think that I would enjoy Hamilton but I was wrong. It was absolutely amazing. It's very different to other musicals but that's what makes Hamilton unique.
A piece of American history from the 18th century turned into the 21st century where the story is told through cast members singing and rapping.

Definitely worth a visit if you happen to be in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment