Wednesday, 20 April 2016

In The Heights - London West End 2016

I was very interested in seeing another musical that Lin Manuel Miranda wrote the music and lyrics too and that was In The Heights.

In the Heights is about a vibrant Latino neighbourhood of Washington Heights in Manhattan.
A musical full of Latin rhythms of salsa and merengue alongside soul, pop, hip hop and RandB.
Usnavi who's a shop owner, looks after an ageing Cuban lady next door and falls in love with a girl working in a beauty salon across the street and dreams of winning the lottery and escaping to his native home in the Dominican Republic.

The show starred Sam Mackay as Usnavi, Lily Frazer as Nina, David Bedella as Kevin, Christine Allado as Vanessa, Joe Aaron Reid as Benny and Josie Benson as Camila.

Sam Mackay was a brilliant Usnavi. My favourite character in the show. I loved every minute of Sam's performance. A very convincing and professional performance.
Lily Frazer portrayed Nina amazingly, Lily had some power house songs to sing and performed them fantastically. What a voice.
Christine Allado was a charming Vanessa. A sort of ' the girl next door' type of character.

I have two favourite songs from the show and they were 'in the heights' and 56,000.

The only thing about the show was that it needs to be in a bigger theatre on a bigger stage with a bigger set, but he cast and crew made it work on a small stage.

It's still a fantastic show and well worth a visit as it's different and has a Spanish vibe to it.
I only saw the show once, loved it and now I want to see it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment